Thursday, October 15, 2009

your name


Jack Isaac Voigt was named after Jesus' most beloved disciple - Jack is a derivative of John. The Book of John holds a special place in my heart because after years of reading the bible, it took just moments with John to lead me to a personal relationship with Jesus. As for Jack's middle name, God kinda picked that one out, or at least it felt that way to me. Isaac for me represents the story on the mountain where Abraham was told by God to take his only son, whom he loved, Isaac, and sacrifice him as an offering to the Lord. Abraham obeyed, showing his love and fear for God. In return, God spared Isaac by providing an alternate offering to give in the form of a ram caught in the thicket by it's horns. He knew in his heart that God had provided this animal for the sacrifice in place of his son. Therefore, Abraham named the place "The Lord Will Provide." I found this version of the Abraham and Isaac story in a children's bible story book I had bought for Gaige years before. The night I read it, I was so worried about how we would care for our new baby Jack, but after I read Abraham's trial, I worried no more because I knew God would provide. We chose Isaac as Jack's middle name to honor the safety and assurance God allowed us.

No comments:

Post a Comment